WHAT ARE THEY?
Home Groups are microcosms of the greater fellowship that meet in the homes of believers on a regular basis. In Acts 2:46 we see this modeled when the church was established.
“Day by day continuing with one mind in the temple (In our context, Sunday morning and Wednesday evening worship services), and breaking bread from house to house (Home Group Fellowships), they were taking their meals together with gladness and sincerity of heart…”
Based on this and other passages (Gal. 3:28, Phil. 2:1-2, Jn. 13:34-35), these are not interest groups formed around age, gender, social class or special affinities. Instead, our desire is to grow in unity Eph. 4:1-7, as the body of Christ, serving, assisting and building each other up with our various gifts, talents, skills and passions. Eph. 4:15-16
WHAT TO EXPECT?
- Continually devoted to the teaching (Acts 2:42)…
- Discussion centered around sermon-based questions each Sunday, that are given week to week to facilitators and hosts, for the Home Group to dig deeper into the Scriptures from the teaching, applying it to our lives.
- Continually devoted to fellowship (Acts 2:42)…
- In the safety and security of confidential relationships, we’ll encourage each other to be authentic and transparent as we live life together, walking in the Spirit.
- Continually devoted to the breaking of bread (Acts 2:42)…
- The early church followed the model Jesus established with His disciples, in the New Covenant ( 26:26-29; 1 Cor. 11:24-26), and all though it’s not required, Home Groups are, likewise, encouraged to enjoy this together.
- This also includes sharing meals in fellowship (Acts 2:46).
- Continually devoted to prayer (Acts 2:42)…
- Prayer is paramount, and equal in priority, to the time spent sharing in the teaching. Home Groups are urged and encouraged to bathe their fellowship in prayer. We cannot underestimate the power of communing with the Father together as one (Acts 4:23-31; Acts 12:1-12)
We see this as a demonstration of God’s Spirit to the world around us who will witness the love of God actively and practically at work in us. This will invite and introduce others to receive Jesus as their Lord and join the fellowship of His Church, of which the Bridge Christian Fellowship is one member of His Body in the world.
If you would like to know more about Home Groups, or feel called to Host/Facilitate one – feel free to email Pastor Jacob Barksdale by clicking HERE